Frequently Asked Questions
- Can Mucinex® tablets be crushed or broken?
Due to their extended-release formulation, Mucinex® tablets should not be crushed, chewed or be broken. If the tablets are too large or difficult for you to swallow, please speak with your healthcare provider.
- Do Mucinex® tablets have to be taken with food?
Mucinex® tablets do not have to be taken with meals but should be taken with a full glass of water.
- What is considered a full glass of water?
250ml (8oz) is considered a full glass of water.
- Can Mucinex® tablets be used with an existing medical condition (i.e. diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure etc.)?
Speak with your healthcare provider if you are under a doctor's care for an existing medical condition or are taking any other medication before taking Mucinex products.
- Does the Mucinex® tablet dosage need to be adjusted for different body mass index (BMI)?
No, the Mucinex® product dosage for adults and children 12 years of age and older should be followed using the dosing directions on the product label. There is no adjustment for BMI. For further questions, please contact your healthcare provider.
- Can Mucinex® be used with other over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription medications?<
Please speak with your healthcare provider
- When will I start to feel relief once using Mucinex®?
Some individuals may start to feel the effects soon after dosing while for others it may take longer or it may take several doses. If you have any additional questions, please be sure to speak with your healthcare provider.
- Can I use Mucinex® for an extensive period of time?
As you have probably noted on the product labeling, the typical duration is limited short-term use. If you have any additional questions regarding treatment, please check with your healthcare provider.
- Can an adult/child over 12 years of age take Mucinex®?
Product information relating to appropriate age and dosing information can be found on the product labe
- Do Mucinex® tablets contain gluten?
While Mucinex® tablets are not formulated with any ingredient containing gluten, we do not test or certify them to be “gluten-free”.
- Do Mucinex® tablets contain a sleep aid?
No, they do not contain a sleep aid.
- Do Mucinex® tablets contain a coating on them?
No, they are not coated in any way.
- In the blister packs, it seems that some tablets have a white side, some have a coloured side...why?
Mucinex® is extended release bi-layer tablets. One side is the immediate release layer while the other side is the extended-release layer. The product in the blister packages only show one side of the tablet.
- Is it normal for Mucinex® tablets to have a distinct odor?
Yes, this is normal and is caused by the guaifenesin (expectorant) in the tablets.
- If the products are kept outside of the recommended temperature listed on the package, can it still be used?
It is not advisable to use products stored outside of the recommended storage temperatures since pharmaceutical products have a specific storage temperature range. The temperature should be maintained to ensure the product’s ability to produce beneficial effects. Please refer to the product labeling for storage temperature information.
- Can I use expired product?
We do not recommend using expired product and cannot assure the safety and effectiveness of a product past its expiration date.